Wednesday 9 August 2023

The stop-start season continues...

Last weekend, Handsworth were knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle. The game was at Barnoldswick FC, which is a bit of a trek, so we didn't go. As I get older, I find that I don't travel as well as I once did so a 2 hour minimum journey was just a bit too much. Then, of course, there's the 2-hour journey back!

Ian Robinson's match report records that once again, after scoring first, the Ambers conceded 2 goals in quick succession. Add to that the fact that Handsworth had a player sent off then conceded a 3rd goal and it turned out to be a pretty miserable day all told. Have a read at Ian's excellent report on our website:

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/handsworthfc/teams/126071/match-centre/0-5679474/report

Maltby Main were scheduled to be our next opponents in the league campaign but they drew their FA Cup game which meant a replay for them on Wednesday. Since the FA Cup takes priority, our league fixture at their place today has had to be postponed.

Fixture schedules meant that we have no game on Saturday 12th August so our next fixture will not be until we face Garforth at Oliver's Mount on Wednesday 16th August. This means that since the "serious stuff" began on 29th July, The Ambers have played only 2 games, sadly, losing both. 

Frustrating to say the least and it's hard for the club and it's volunteers because no games means reduced income so we hope that we can attract a bigger than average home gate for the rest of the season. It'd be nice if everyone who attends our next game could bring a mate!

With no Ambers game on Saturday, I'm thinking of taking the chance to watch/photograph Dronfield Town's home game. I regard "Town" as my 2nd team but have had little opportunity to watch them over the last couple of seasons.

My connection with them is through the ex-General Manager at my old place of work who was also Club Secretary at Dronfield for many years. Sheila and I also knew of Darren Bradwell through our years of involvement as registrars with the Sheffield & District Junior Sunday League.

Sadly, Darren passed away suddenly in February this year and although he no longer had a formal connection with Dronfield Town, he always kept an eye on how the club was progressing.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what further improvements have been made to the Stonelow Road ground. The club has continued to make some remarkable advances in their facilities if match photos I've seen are anything to go by.

I'll let you know!  (Weather permitting! 😉)




No comments: