Saturday 20 January 2024

Ice, Ice Baby!

The plan was that the next blog entry would follow Handsworth's game against Albion Sports scheduled for today but since the game has been postponed due to frozen water pipes at Oliver's Mount, I thought I might as well bore you now.

If I'm totally honest, I'm quietly pleased that there's no game today. I think I'm getting a bit "stale" when it comes to my football photos so a short break feels a little bit welcome perhaps? I keep saying "I'm getting too old for this" when shooting football and I think maybe I'm seriously starting to believe it! 

It's also my 74th birthday tomorrow. I don't want to be 74 but what can you do!?!

There's not really a lot to say when there's no football to go to. Our social life basically revolves around Handsworth FC.

Really only two items of note in my pretty mundane existence during the last week. 

Our son and his wife have finally moved into their fabulous new house after several weeks of waiting for the i's to be dotted and the t's to be crossed. Delighted for both of them. The only real concern was how their cat Izzy would react to the new place.

He's a rescue cat and can be very timid but he's been checking out the new house and Mark thinks he's almost decided where his "safe area" will be. Izzy used to like to sit by a radiator at their old place but the new home has underfloor heating which seems to have confused Izzy a bit! I'm sure he'll be fine!


Izzy selecting which box will be his

I've also had to see the nurse at our doctors surgery. A couple of weeks ago, at Handsworth's game against Bottesford, I stumbled and took a chunk out of my left leg on a metal stanchion in the stand. Didn't realise how much damage I'd done (to my leg - not the stanchion!) until I got home after the game.

I got a little concerned that the wound didn't seem to be healing and the area around it was reddening. Our local pharmacist told me that the reddening could be a sign of infection so I'd better get it checked out. Anyway - you'll be glad to know that the nurse at our surgery cleaned and dressed the wound and is pretty certain it's not infected but I have to go back on the 26th to see how it's going.

I learned a couple of interesting things from the nurse too. I told her I'd left the wound uncovered for a couple of days to "let the air get to it" (my grandmother's advice from many years ago) but the nurse said it should always be kept covered because letting air get to it can also let infection get to it.

Secondly, when I said I'd put Savlon Antiseptic cream on it she grimaced and said Savlon should never be put on an open wound.

You learn something new every day!

So - a blank Saturday. What to do. I've absolutely no idea. Roll on bedtime!

I'll let you know what, if anything, I get up to but in the meantime, I'll leave you with a shot of this morning's sunrise through the landing window.

Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning - your boats on fire...

😁😉😂


No comments: