Friday 8 March 2024

Beginning to think it's me that's a jinx...

Wednesday, 6th March 2024. A "first" happened. Watching Handsworth lose out 0-3 to Albion Sports, I actually packed the camera away and didn't photograph most of the 2nd half. In fact, I didn't even watch much of the second half at all. I suppose I could have made a Flickr album as usual from the shots I got in the first half but my heart and my head weren't in it. I can't recall ever feeling as despondent after a game as I did after this one.

Disappointment and frustration were the main reasons. Albion Sports are a good side but they "scored" 2 own goals and Handsworth had a goal ruled out for offside. It seems we're just not getting any of the breaks this season. 

Our squad has a long injury list and this game was another example of what managers Jon Froggatt and Mark Ward are having to cope with. Injuries, illness and unavailability due to work commitments has meant they've rarely been able to field their strongest 11 in almost all games since the early part of the season. 

Wednesday's game was fairly typical. At least 5 players who would probably be expected to start weren't available. The side we put out played well enough against strong opposition but with nothing to  show for it. 

What's bothering me is that we've been to 5 games in the last 6 weeks (3 first team and 2 reserves) and in 4 of them, The Ambers have conceded a late goal resulting in a loss or a draw. 
I'm sick of saying "You deserved more lads" if I'm honest.

I'm now seriously wondering if I am some sort of jinx! It's got to be soul destroying for the players when we drop points to last minute goals like against Rossington and Frickley. The reserves too have had last minute disappointments with defeats at home to Sheffield City and Silkstone Utd. The common denominator in all of these disappointments is that I was there with the camera! Hmmm!

One of the bright spots from Wednesday was the performance of young Leiwi Abraham who has joined Handsworth on a month long loan from Rotherham United. A sort of "work experience" deal. He looks like a good player and the bonus is, he's a lovely lad. Here's a shot of him in action.


Next up is another tough game. This time we are at home to Tadcaster who beat us 5-1 at their place in early February (although I can't take the blame for that one. I wasn't there!) 

Taddy have had their struggles too this season but the current form tables show they've taken 7 points from their last 6 games against Handsworth's 4 points from their last 6. That suggests it could be a tight game but who knows? A lot depends on what sort of side Mark and Jon can put out on the day I guess.

I've decided to give it another go and take the camera to record the game. We'll have to see what happens but if I'm really honest, I can't wait for the season to end.

COYA ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ–ค⚽๐Ÿ‘Š

No comments: