Monday 20 November 2023

In Reserve...

A couple of blog entries ago, I mentioned that The Ambers were to undertake 3 long away trips to games at Pickering, Tadcaster and Silsden, all within a week. I also suggested a "waterlogged pitch" might help reduce the length of the "North & West Yorkshire Tour."

Turns out waterlogged pitches meant the games at both Tadcaster and Silsden were postponed  leaving The Ambers 1st team with no fixture until 28th November when Goole AFC are the visitors to Olivers Mount. Perhaps in future, I should be more careful what I wish for!

We hadn't planned to go to Silsden last Saturday anyway. I had some business to sort out in Sheffield and wouldn't be through with that until it was too late to travel so we took the opportunity to see the Handsworth Reserves side for the first time this season.

The Reserves are essentially a new squad with a lot of young players and are competing in the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League Division 1 having dropped down from the County Senior Premier Division during the summer break. The team had done well in the Premier Division but a change of management and essentially, the break up of last season's squad meant the Reserves were more or less starting from scratch.

They'd made a good start and were pushing for the top spot so we decided to have a look for ourselves in their home fixture against Thorncliffe Villa, another side in the process of rebuilding. 

On a fine dry afternoon Handsworth won the game. I like fine, dry afternoons because photography is so much easier when I'm not trying to keep me and the camera warm and dry!

At half time, Handsworth lead 2-0 with goals from Aidan Askwith (what a talent this young lad looks by the way!) and Nathan Metcalfe but based on 1st half performances, Thorncliffe were still very much in it.

Aiden Askwith (16) opens the scoring



Nathan Metcalfe scores the second goal.

A more cohesive show in the second half kept Handsworth largely on top although both sides could have had further goals if the chances created had been taken. 

Handsworth maintained the 2 goal lead until the final whistle and the win actually moves them into top spot in the division on goal difference from Sheffield City FC but Sheffield and 3rd placed AFC Dronfield have games in hand. Mind you, I've always reckoned that I'd rather have points on the board than games in hand.

There's a long way to go of course with only around half the season completed but things are looking good for the lads.

My match album can be viewed here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62126085@N04/albums/72177720312801553

On other fronts, with a lot of help from my son in Holland, I figured out that computer problem I've been having. I store files and photographs on a 5Tb external hard drive and everything is then backed up to a second 5Tb external hard drive. As you'll see, I'm a "belt and braces" man!

The iMac and Apple operating system has a facility called "Disk Utility/First Aid". Running that on external drive 01 found "surface damage" on the drive so a repair wasn't possible. The upshot is that I've bought a new external drive but this time, a Solid State Drive rather than another external HDD so I've spent the last couple of days copying files from external drive 02 to the new drive which is faster and more reliable (fingers crossed)

Eliminating all of the technical jibber jabber - one of my external hard drives was knackered so I've bought a new 'un.

So it's on to next Saturday when we host Goole AFC in a league fixture.

Here's hoping for a fine, dry afternoon!

COYA🧡🖤⚽👊

No comments: