Monday 27 November 2023

Six Of The Best...

We gathered at Olivers Mount on Saturday 25th November to see if Handsworth FC could get back to winning ways in the NCEL Premier Division when we hosted Goole AFC who, like The Ambers, are having a very mixed season.

Waterlogged pitch postponements meant that this would be the team's first outing since the somewhat disappointing display at Pickering a fortnight previously.

Another dry, bright and cold day (as wished for) and we saw a comprehensive victory for The Ambers who ran out 6-1 winners and so avenged a 2-1 defeat to Goole in the reverse fixture at their place on October 10th.

Handsworth started brightly enough and really looked "up for it", taking the lead when midfielder Tom Bishop scored his first goal for the club but Goole levelled things a short while later and some of the home fans began to fret a little! However, with Mitch Dunne and top scorer Alfie Dodsworth having excellent games, the lead was soon restored and at half time, the score was 3-1 and the fans began to settle down a bit!!

Three further goals were added in the second half and were it not for a great performance from the Goole keeper, ex- Amber Luke Chadwick, the final score could have been in double figures.

As ever, Ian Robinson missed nothing and his comprehensive report can be found on the club website. Click the link:

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/handsworthfc/teams/126071/match-centre/1-14094581/report

Unlike Ian, I missed a few things, including a couple of the goals but that was really down to a lack of concentration as I found some lovely folk to chat too - from both sets of fans! Can't even blame the camera the time! My album is also on the website if you want a look:

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/handsworthfc/photos/2023-11-25-ambers-61-goole-ncel-prem-1084428.html

I did redeem myself to some extent though. I managed some good shots of the goal scored by Leon Howarth. So far this season all I've managed of Leon's goals is, generally, the ball hitting the back of the net! He's scored in each of our last 4 games so a good picture was long overdue!




Leon Howarth rounds the keeper and walks the ball into the net

On the subject of statistics, I've long believed that they can be used to prove anything. Many, (many) years ago, when I was at college studying for my HND in Business Studies and Practices, the only module I failed was statistics.

I guess it didn't help my cause when I put a sticker on the front of my statistics notes which read "A statistician is someone who believes that with your head in an oven and your feet in a fridge, on average, you'll be perfectly comfortable." I don't think the lecturer was impressed and although he never said anything, I failed the module so - what do you think!?

I mention this because in fact, prior to this win, statistics show that Handsworth hadn't won a league game in the previous 8 matches but on the flip side, they have won 3 of the 4 games played in November. OK. That includes 2 games in cup competitions so, is the glass really half full or half empty?

Anyway, next up on the football front is a series of away games, the first of which is at Golcar on 2nd December in the NCEL Premier league, followed by a short trip to Sheffield FC on the 5th December for a Senior Cup 3rd Round tie and finally, on Saturday 9th, we're away at Garforth in our next league game.

We won't be at either Golcar or Garforth. I've something else happening on Saturday 2nd and our son arrives in Sheffield on 7th December and will head back to Holland early on the 12th so we've almost a week with him which we intend to make as much use of as we possibly can!

I also need his help because I'm having some more problems with the computer/hard drives. I've somehow managed to corrupt the new SSD I bought so I'm working from my "backup" drive. I think I know what to do but I'm going to wait until he's actually at Nortoner Towers where he can guide me through it personally (and laugh at me no end of course!)

OK! I've bored you enough guys.Thanks for reading all or part of this ramble. Each view gets my "Blogger Stats" up! Much appreciated! More follows when there's more to report! 

Tarra for now!


No comments: