Sunday 9 September 2012

A momentous week!

In which I pretty much decided when I plan to retire!
 
It looks like February/March 2014 is the target unless something equally momentous happens between now and then.
 
February because that will mean my present stint (or perhaps that should be sentence!) at the company I work for will be 34 years. March because that would be at the end of a tax year. All of the details need sorting of course but the general plan is now in  place.
 
The pension plan is a Final Salary scheme which has been (and is!) extremely well managed so that although my monthly income will obviously fall,  the Duchess and I should still be able to manage I reckon! At least (hopefully!) until my State Pension kicks in about a year later.
 
I originally started work at the company I'm with in 1970 as a mere child of 20 years..
 
I left in 1978 to go "on the road" as  a sales representative for a steel stockholder in Barnsley. I even had the obligatory Ford Cortina - a 2 litre GL with vinyl roof. My first car in fact. Unfortunately, that job didn't work out and I went back to my present employer as Sales Office Manager in 1980 (2 weeks after I'd left the steel stockholders and as I was just about to "sign on the dole." Very fortunate!)
 
Anyway - I've obviously seen lots of changes in that time - and not all of them good to be honest but the ship has generally been steered in the right direction. Must have been actually, because from it's original founding in 1792(!!) - the company still exists - in vastly changed form of course.
 
So - deep breath - fingers crossed.... 18 months will go very quickly if the last 18 is anything to go by!
 
Football? Well - Belper Town's long unbeaten run in the League came to an end at Market Drayton last weekend where once again, the team pulled back a 2-goal deficit but the difference this time was the opposition grabbed a third to win 3-2. Unfortunately, neither Snapper Harrison or I went so there are no pictures to link to.
 
Next up was a 1-1 draw with Leek Town at home - I didn't take the camera but Snapper did and here's the record of yet another draw:
 
The games come thick and fast at this time  of year and the next event was the FA Cup First Qualifying Round tie at near neighbours and fierce rivals Matlock Town. That took place yesterday and what a fantastic game it was!
 
Another draw - this time 2-2 but this has to be one of the best performances I've seen from a Belper side. From 1-0 down early on, the lads went to 2-1 up with goals from Simon Harrison and Aaron Pride. Matlock nicked a goal to make it 2-2 at half time. How the score stayed at 2-2 through the second half is beyond me! But it did - and the replay is on Tuesday evening at Belper Town.
 
A really tremendous set of photos by Snapper Harrison complements a terrific game (He had one of his best games an all!!)
 
I hope we haven't missed our chance to progress in the competition though. I remember a couple of years back we played away at Droylesden in a later round than this and could have nicked it at their place. However, they had sussed us out for the replay and we went out of the Cup that night. Really don't need deja vu on Tuesday! But - we shall see - as they say!
 
Right - Sunday afternoon and there's Sheffield Junior Sunday League stuff to do - so - laters peeps!
 

No comments: