Monday, 4 May 2009

A roller-coaster ride of a weekend.

Friday Night - The weekend started on a high! The Supporter's "Do" in the Nailers turned out to be a cracking evening. Tickets were a fiver each and for that we got a drink, food and a good laugh from the event. (And as it turned out - an extra surprise in the Auction.... more below.)

After watching a slideshow of 'Arrison's pictures (with witty captions and background music) there was a buffet (does anyone "do" better food than June and her crew at Belper?!) and then a Question and Answer session with Andy Carney and Danny Hudson, our joint managers.

As ever, they were totally honest and answered questions frankly and occasionally, very humourously too! (But they wouldn't reveal what the line-up would be for the next day's play off final!)

There was a quiz, conducted by Neil Laughlin, a raffle and Auction, conducted by Dave Laughlin. The auction had two "lots" - a signed Belper Town shirt and a season ticket for 2009/2010. The shirt went for £100 and so did the season ticket - but the difference was that the season ticket is now MINE! Bought for me by the Duchess as an early Christmas present!

Saturday - a tense and nervous morning.
We arrived at the ground early (we were one of the first cars on the car park at about 1 o'clock!) and bit our fingernails until 3 o'clock. Unfortunately, Belper lost 1 - 0 and so missed out on promotion to the Premier Division. The defeat is even harder to take when you remember Belper only missed out on automatic promotion on goal difference, having finished with the same points total as the champions Retford Utd. You can read a match report by clicking on the Belper Town FC link on the right.

Snapper Harrison's pictures are here:

The rest of Mossley Smiffy's are here (the pic above is one of his!):

Sunday - a 5-hour drive to Folkestone - taking our son to meet up with his wife who had crossed from Holland via France and the Channel Tunnel. He's been in Sheffield since Wednesday last week and was heading back to his home in Rotterdam. Since he had loads of "stuff" he wanted to take back with him, the best solution was for him to fly here initially, then drive down to Folkestone with us, transfer the things he was taking back from our car to theirs and then go back with his wife through the tunnel. Which is exactly what we did! And it worked a treat!

It made for a long day though!! We left Sheffield at around 6:30 a.m. and got back home at about 7 p.m. Mark and his wife had an even longer journey - we heard later that they got stuck in heavy traffic and didn't get back to Rotterdam until about 8:15 UK time - (plus an hour for Dutch time of course.) Still it was great to see them both again and it's a pity we didn't have that long together but we're looking at going over there for a few days later this year.

So - no more footy for a while - although I might make it to Belper Reserves game at Staveley tomorrow night - it's only about 30 mins from here - we'll see what the weather dictates!

No comments: