Thursday 5 May 2011

Och Aye The Noo - Shalom - Tha Nose.....

Bank Holiday Monday - we decided to have a walk up to the local park because they were holding a "Highland Fling". Lovely day (although I have to say the only "Highland" thing about it was a pipe band and some highland cattle!)

Anyway - there am I - taking pictures of the pipers (wearing the t-shirt my son brought me back from Israel)

When one of the pipers (pic on left) approaches me and points at the camera - or so I thought. Maybe he didn't want me taking pictures??!

He then sez "Shalom" (in a Yorkshire accent) and starts translating the Hebrew word on the shirt!

Five minutes later, he brings another of the pipers across and introduces him as Professor McNulty (below right) from Sheffield University. He wanted the Prof to confirm his translation. (Despite the fact we know it says "Goldstar" because it's repeated in English at the top of the logo!)


Could only happen to me - In Graves Park, Sheffield,  talking about Hebrew translation to a Scot and a Yorkshireman.... hence "Och Aye The Noo..... Shalom..... Tha Nose!" Surreal!


It was a good afternoon, although a very strong wind made it chilly but we spent a good couple of hours looking at Birds of Prey, Highland Cattle and Shire Horses. There were stalls selling a wide variety of foods and also a fairground for the kids to enjoy. Generally, a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I'm working on an album because I got some nice shots of Owls and Falcons as well as the Highland Cattle.

Like these:



Post it ASAP but things are a but hectic just now. On Sunday, I head off to Canada and the USA to do a tour of some of the more important customers. It's also a "training exercise" for my colleague who will take over my duties when I retire (sometine over the next 18 months to 2 years!)

I'll try to post "from the road" as often as possible but we're cramming in a fair bit in over the 10 days we're away.



For now   - "Haste Ye Back" (oh and errrr - Shalom!)

No comments: