Monday 3 August 2009

What A Lovely Weekend!

We've enjoyed a smashing weekend which makes Monday morning back at the Effingham Road House of Fun all the harder to take!

Anyway - Friday evening, we went to Meadowhall and I bought my "dream" camera - a Canon EOS 50D. The photographers amongst you will know what this is but for those of you who don't - trust me - it's a cracker!! It's left me £1500 worse off but it's worth every penny.

So - Saturday afternoon and a trip to see Belper play another pre-season "friendly" at Frickley Athletic. It was raining very heavily and so the new camera stayed at home and I used the faithful 300D which I bought from my son a couple of years ago. I might post a couple of my pics if I can find any of sufficient quality to match Snapper Harrisons effort:

http://www.timharrisonphotography.com/NailersAction/FrklyA0910/index.html

or Mossley Smiffys offering:

http://mossleysmiffy.jalbum.net/FrickleyBelperPSF/

Both are fine photographers and even with the "Dream Camera" it'll be hard to match the standard they set - but I'll give it a go!

It was a good game at Frickley - they are a Unibond Premier League Club (we're Division One) and we could only field a "bare minimum" team due to holidays etc. We gave them a run for their money - taking the lead fairly early and then battling out the game until about 10 mins from the end when they equalised.

Didn't like their attitude though. I know the game should be played to win no matter if it's a friendly or the real thing but Aaron Pride, our young full back, came home in an ambulance and is now on crutches after a Frickley player "left a foot in" late in the game. No need for it and I hope he is proud of himself. As I said - be competitive, play hard but don't go around kicking lumps off people. The referee did nothing, not even a free kick - need I say more.

So - Saturday evening was spent at the Firth Park Bowl where my sister-in-law was celebrating her 50th birthday. A pleasant evening (if a little loud - they had a disco and an "80's Tribute" duo who were unfortunately stunningly bad!) and it was nice to "catch up" with my brother and his family.

Sunday - and the new camera got its first outing at the Open Day at Belper Town. The event was held in conjunction with McDonalds whose stated aim is to get 20,000 football coaches "trained up" by 2010. It was a good day, well organised - as ever - (Belper Club Secretary Dave Laughlin did most of it so you'd expect nothing less!) and the major attendees were Sir Geoff Hurst and a coach whose name I didn't catch but who coached the Man Utd Youth squad and brought Beckham, Neville, Giggs, Scholes etc etc through the ranks. This guy did a "Masterclass" coaching session, lasting about 30 minutes - very impressive. The Community Shield Trophy was on display and drew lots of attention and Belper Town FC were presented with their "FA Charter Standard Club" certification.

Pics will be posted on here when I've processed them but in the meantime, lunchtime at the salt mines is over and so I gotta get back to work......

To be continued.........

No comments: